As the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®) gain more acceptance and international adoption, and with CFA Institute’s expected release of GIPS 2020 for public comment, there are persistent questions about the current state of GIPS compliance.
- Who claims compliance with the GIPS standards, and why?
- Who receives independent third-party verifications?
- What value do consultants and investors place on compliance with the GIPS standards?
To address these questions, eVestment and ACA Performance Services have co-sponsored an industry survey focusing on various stakeholders’ perspectives on the value of GIPS compliance. The initial survey was first released in 2009 and later updated in 2012 and again in 2014. The 2018 report is the fourth update on industry-wide views of compliance with the GIPS standards.
“The survey results indicate a potential major shift for alternative managers, with three out of four consultant responses indicating that they expect to start requiring hedge fund and private equity managers to comply with the GIPS standards,” said Justin Guthrie, Partner at ACA Performance Services. “This is a fundamental change to asset classes that have historically had very low rates of compliance.”
The survey of institutional asset managers, consultants, and investors shows that compliance with the GIPS standards continues to be a powerful force. According to the survey,
- 94% of asset management firms that claim compliance receive a verification, up from 87% that reported being verified in the 2014 survey.
- Among investors and consultants, 75% said third-party verification is important or very important in the manager search process.
- 3 out of 4 consultants/investors exclude managers from searches some or all of the time if there is not a claim of compliance with the GIPS standards.
- 94% of consultants/investors believe more pension funds, foundations, endowments, and other asset owners will claim compliance with the GIPS standards when GIPS 2020 is released.
- 75% of consultants/investors said they expect to start requiring GIPS compliance for alternative investment managers like private equity firms, hedge funds, and real estate investment managers.
- 67% of alternative asset managers believe investors and consultants will ultimately require alternative managers to comply with GIPS.
“The institutional investment industry is moving toward more transparency across all asset classes, which is something eVestment has championed since our founding in 2000,” said eVestment Global Head of Strategic Engagement John Molesphini. “The increases across the board in the findings of this new GIPS survey is further evidence of this trend.”
Tune in on Thursday, September 6 at 11 a.m. ET for our exclusive webcast The Value of GIPS Compliance: 2018 Manager and Consultant Survey Results. ACA Performance Services' Justin Guthrie and eVestment's John Molesphini will discuss current trends and the effects of the GIPS standards on the investment management industry. This webcast will include:
- Results from the ACA Performance and eVestment survey
- The importance of database updates
- Recent search activity highlights
Throughout the webcast, the panelists will answer questions and respond to comments from attendees. Register today.
eVestment, a Nasdaq company, provides a flexible suite of easy-to-use, cloud-based solutions to help the institutional investing community identify and capitalize on global investment trends, better select and monitor investment managers and more successfully enable asset managers to market their funds worldwide. eVestment’s mission is to help make smart money smarter.
About ACA Performance Services
ACA Compliance Group is a leading provider of risk management and technology solutions that focus on regulatory compliance, performance, financial crime, and cybersecurity. ACA Performance Services, a division of ACA Compliance Group, offers GIPS verification and related services to investment managers across the world. Globally, ACA Performance Services is the largest team of professionals solely dedicated to GIPS verification and related services.